ShowBiz & Sports Lifestyle

Hot

Patrick Reed makes feelings clear on LIV Golf chaos after bailing at perfect time

Patrick Reed makes feelings clear on LIV Golf chaos after bailing at perfect time

Sam FrostWed, August 19, 2026 at 5:52 PM UTC

0

Patrick Reed has given his thoughts on LIV Golf's future -Credit:Luke Walker/Getty Images

Patrick Reed "wouldn't be surprised" if LIV Golf players followed his lead by pursuing a return to the PGA Tour as the breakaway league reaches crunch time in its funding crisis.

Reed quit LIV ahead of this season, and his decision appears prophetic. Chaos followed soon after his departure, with Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund announcing in April that it would withdraw its backing at the end of the season.

The breakaway league's campaign concludes this week with LIV Golf Indianapolis at Chatham Hills, after which it needs an urgent cash injection to survive. LIV has agreed terms in principle with private equity firm BC Partners to breathe new life into the league, but it remains in peril; the agreement is redundant if players leave en masse.

• LIV Golf star admits 'we don't know anything' after meeting lifeline investor

• Scottie Scheffler loses nearly half of $3.6M prize money from FedEx St Jude win

Jon Rahm is among the players considering walking away, and even if LIV gets a deal with BC Partners over the line, Reed believes players could still quit and try to rejoin the PGA Tour.

“It’s hard to speculate about Jon as I’m not talking to him about what is going on, but, yeah, I could see a lot of different things happening,” Reed told The Scotsman. “I wouldn’t be surprised if some guys tried to earn their way back to the PGA Tour or some guys tried to earn a spot on this tour. Time will tell.

Advertisement

“Like everyone else, I have no idea what is going to happen with LIV. One day it’s one thing and the next day it’s something else. Everything is so uncertain that you just don’t know. But there are definitely no regrets on my part. My decision was strictly personal and with my family in mind. It didn’t really have anything to do with anything other than that, so I was comfortable with the decision we made.

Rahm has been linked with a return to the PGA Tour -Credit:Carl Recine/Getty Images

"Whether LIV was going through the hardships it is now or flourishing in the direction it was when I was playing, I would still be very comfortable with the decision I made as I felt that was the best for myself and my family.”

While Brooks Koepka was able to make an immediate PGA Tour comeback after quitting LIV through the short-lived Returning Member Program due to his 2023 PGA Championship victory, Reed was not eligible.

The 2018 Masters champion has spent the six months since his decision to quit LIV playing on the DP World Tour in the hope of earning a PGA Tour card for 2027 through the Race To Dubai.

The 36-year-old has all but secured a card. He leads the Race To Dubai rankings after two early-season victories, including the Dubai Desert Classic.

Although he is eligible to return to PGA Tour action as a sponsor's exemption after the conclusion of next week's Tour Championship, Reed is in no rush; he is prioritizing big events on the DP World Tour in the weeks ahead. He will play in this week's Nexo Championship at Trump International Golf Links in Scotland.

He told Mirror U.S. Sports last month: "I'm not going to miss Wentworth. There's the Irish Open and the big events like that. Those are events that I'm still going to want to play and still play and be a part of. It's just going to be sitting down with the team and trying to figure out what the plan of action is.

"At the end of the day, you go out and play well to finish off the year here on the DP World Tour, finish No. 1 in those standings, and everything takes care of itself."

Original Article on Source

Source: “AOL Sports”

We do not use cookies and do not collect personal data. Just news.