ShowBiz & Sports Lifestyle

Hot

Body found in major search for man who fell overboard from cruise ship

Body found in major search for man who fell overboard from cruise ship

Nicole Wootton-Cane Fri, August 21, 2026 at 4:41 PM UTC

3

The Independent and Yahoo will earn a commission from purchases made via links in this article. Pricing and availability are subject to change.

A body has been recovered in the search for a missing man who is believed to have gone overboard from a cruise ship near Scotland.

The MS Ambition was on its way from Lerwick to Dundee when the alarm was raised after a guest was found to be missing on Friday morning, cruise operator Ambassador said in a statement. A major search and rescue operation by HM coastguard was launched, and police have now confirmed a body has been found.

Formal identification has not yet taken place, but the family of the man who was reported missing have been informed, police said.

Police Scotland confirmed it received a report a man had gone overboard from a cruise ship in the North Sea, around 40 nautical miles from Anstruther, Fife, at around 8.55am on Friday.

The MS Ambition docked at Dundee following reports a man had gone overboard (file photo) (Alamy/PA)

The passenger is understood to have been travelling as part of the 2026 Solar Eclipse Cruise.

Advertisement

In a statement posted on social media earlier on Friday, Ambassador Cruise Line said: “We can confirm that the Captain of Ambition reported a missing person incident earlier this morning.

“The ship, which is now berthed in Dundee, was on passage from Lerwick to Dundee when the alarm was raised after it was found that a guest was not where they were expected to be. Guests on board have been kept informed of developments by the Captain and a thorough ship-wide search was carried out on arrival in Dundee.

“Having initially been asked to remain on board while the search was carried out, guests have now been cleared to disembark. Ambassador follows stringent search and rescue protocols in line with international maritime safety standards. We continue to work in close collaboration with the Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC), The Maritime and Coastguard Agency, HM Coastguard and Police Scotland as the investigation continues.”

The cruise line said it would not comment further due to an ongoing police investigation.

In a statement, Police Scotland said: “Around 8.55am on Friday August 21 2026 we received a report that a man had gone overboard from a cruise ship in the North Sea, 40 nautical miles from Anstruther, Fife.

“A search and rescue operation, carried out by police and partner agencies, has been ongoing and a body has been recovered.

“Formal identification is yet to take place however the family of the man who was reported missing has been informed.”

Original Article on Source

Source: “AOL Breaking”

We do not use cookies and do not collect personal data. Just news.